Why did the chicken cross the road? Good question, and one that’s been pondered for years. Was it to get to the other side? Or for shadier reasons (fowl play)?
No, it’s not National Bad Pun Day (that was March 4th). Rather, today is National Poultry Day. And here are more interesting facts than you ever needed to know about chickens:
- A chicken can travel at up to 9 miles an hour
- The greatest number of yolks ever found in one chicken egg? 9
- The fear of chickens is called ‘alektorophobia’
- There are over 200 varieties of chickens, and there are more chickens on the planet than any other domesticated bird. In fact, there are more chickens than people!
- The chicken is the closest living relative of the tyrannosaurus rex
Don’t forget the we’ve got all manner of poultry equipment in our Farm Supplies category; from chicken feeders & fountains to coops, we’ve got you covered!