Marywood University to Offer Professional Continuing Education Nursing Home Administration Program
SCRANTON, PA (August 25, 2017)—Marywood University’s Professional Continuing Education department will offer a 120-Hour Long-Term Care Nursing Home Administration (NHA) Program during the 2017-2018 academic year.
Each of the courses is approved for 7.5 continuing education hours by the Pennsylvania State Board of Examiners of Nursing Home Administrators. Select courses are approved for 7.5 continuing education credits (CEUs) for social workers applicable towards New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania Licensed Social Worker renewal.
Dates, programs, and presenters planned for the 2017-2018 academic year include:
- October 5, 2017—General Administration and Organizational Management of Nursing Homes with Marion Swancki, RN, NHA. Ms. Swancki has more than 40 years of experience in nursing and long-term care. For 23 years she served as the administrator at Wayne Woodlands Manor, Waymart, Pa.
- October 6, 2017—Rehabilitation Services and Special Care with Gary Duncan, OTR/L. Mr. Duncan has served as a director of rehabilitation in a long-term care facility.
- October 19, 2017—Risk Management: Safety and Insurance with Matt Alfiero, CPCU, CLU, AFSB, ARM, president of AJ Lupas Insurance Agency.
- October 20, 2017—Health Support Services: Pharmacy Medical Records and Diagnostic Services (plus Social Work CEUs) with Tom Snader, PHARM.D., SASCP, R.PH., branch manager at Community Health Care Services; and Stephanie Sakson, RHIA, consultant in medical records services to long-term care facilities.
- November 2, 2017—Fiscal Management: Budgeting and Accounting with Michael P. Kelly, MPA, NHA, president of Senior Health Solutions, Scranton, Pa.
- November 3, 2017—Gerontology: Diseases of Aging, Death, and Dying (plus Social Work CEUs) with Peggy Steinberg, ACSW, LMSW. Ms. Steinberg served as the director of social work at Lourdes Hospital, Binghamton, N.Y. for 18 years. She continues to consult for Hospice and operates a private practice, the Grief Loss Recovery Center, Clarks Summit, Pa.
- December 7, 2017—Nursing Department and Patient Care Management (Plus Social Work CEUs) with Nancy Newcomb, RN, NHA, executive director and nursing home administrator at St. Mary’s Villa Nursing Home, Moscow, Pa.
- December 8, 2017—Understanding Regulations: Deficiencies, Plans of Correction, and Quality Assurance with Michael Moran, senior administrator at Abington Manor-Genesis Healthcare, Clarks Summit, Pa.; and Jackie Butler, assistant administration at Lackawanna County Health Care Center with more than 33 years of nursing experience. She is also a former long-term care surveyor for the Department of Health.
- January 25, 2018—Social Services, Family and Community Relationships, and Patient Rights (plus Social Work CEUs) with Maria Hastie, MPA, NHA, outreach coordinator at Geisinger Life Center; and John R. O’Brien, Esq., partner in the law firm of Oliver, Price & Rhodes, Scranton, Pa.
- January 26, 2018—Personnel Management and Labor Relations (plus Social Work CEUs) with Jim Silkworth, vice president of human resources at United Methodist Homes, Binghamton, N.Y. Mr. Silkworth has more than 25 years of experience as a human resources executive.
- February 22, 2018—Medicare PPS Case Mix and Third-Party Reimbursement with Lisa Zamber, chief financial officer at St. Mary’s Villa Nursing Home, Moscow, Pa.
- February 23, 2018—Role of Government in Health Policy Regulation and Reimbursement with Mark Palma, NHA, administrator of United Methodist Homes, at the Wesley Village Campus, Pittston, Pa.; and Jessica Balkan, MSW, director of quality management at United Methodist Homes, at the Wesley Village Campus, Pittston, Pa.
- March 22, 2018—Strategic Planning: Marketing and Public Relations with William Bachman, who has served as director of communications for a variety of organizations, including the city of Wilkes-Barre and WNEP-TV. He is a long-time educator and communications consultant in the area of standard corporate and crisis communications.
- March 23, 2018—Nutrition and Dietary Needs of the Long-Term Care Resident with Linda Steier, MS, RD LDN, consultant registered dietitian Nutritionist for Carbon, Lackawanna, Lebanon, Monroe and Pike Counties. Ms. Steier also served as executive director/CEO for Meals on Wheels of Northeastern, Pa., Scranton, PA for 17 years.
- April 19, 2018—Facility Support Services: Building, Grounds, Housekeeping, Laundry, and Central Supply with Kevin Urian the Director of Environmental Services at Wayne Woodlands Manor in Waymart, PA.
- April 20, 2018—Preparing for Licensure: Certification Surveys and Meeting the Other Regulatory Requirements with Marion Swencki, RN NHA.
All courses will run on the dates listed from 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., in the Swartz Center for Spiritual Life, on Marywood University’s campus. Each course is $140 or $2,100 for the entire series. Entire series with NHA Refresher is $2,400, or $525 for NHA Refresher only. For additional information or to register, please visit www.marywood.edu/adultconted/professional-conted/index.html, or call Carolyn M. Bonacci, director of professional continuing education, at (570) 340-6061.