Tomorrow is the Fourth of July which means you are most likely going to host or attend a cookout, hang out with family and friends, and end the night by watching some fireworks. It’s going to be a long day and you may want to bring your pet along so that it is not at home alone. However, you should reconsider. There are so many hazards involved in these eventful activities that you may not be aware of. Here are a few tips for you to keep your pets safe this holiday.

  • Do not apply sunscreen or insect repellent on your pets that are not labeled specifically for use on animals.

Your pet may ingest these products and it can harm them. Some side effects include drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, and lethargy. If the insect repellent contains DEET this can lead to neurological problems.

  • Keep alcoholic beverages away from your pets

If you aren’t keeping a lookout, your pet may ingest large amounts of alcoholic beverages. Alcohol is poisonous and signs of poisoning include weakness, depression, low blood sugar, difficulty breathing, coma, and in severe cases death from respiratory failure.

  •  Don’t give your pet table scraps

The temptation to give your pet some food off your plate will be present but resist the urge. A barbeque is filled with food that can harm your pet. These are some food to keep away from your pet: corn-on-the-cob, any meat with fat, onions, garlic, baked goods, grapes, and caffeine.

  • Avoid placing glow jewelry on your pet

Your pet may look cute with these glow-in-the-dark necklaces on but it can also harm them. The chemical inside it is not highly toxic but it can be if too much is ingested. Apart from that, your pet can swallow the plastic which can cause gastrointestinal irritation or even blockage.

  • Be careful with lighter fluid and matches

These products may be used to start up the grill but should immediately be put away. There are some matches that contain chlorates which can cause blood cell damage in pets if ingested. Lighter fluid can irritate your pet’s skin and if accidentally swallowed it can cause gastrointestinal irritation, central nervous system depression, and even severe pneumonia.

  • DO NOT use fireworks around your pets

Fireworks can result in severe burns, trauma to the face and paws. Many different fireworks contain toxic substances which can harm your pet internally.

  • DO NOT take your dog to a fireworks display

Leave your pet at home where they are safe from a crowded, unfamiliar park that is full of noises. The sound of fireworks easily spook pets and can result in them running away in an attempt to find safety. They can get away from you very quickly and can easily injure themselves in the process of looking for protection.